Tanzania Tea Industry Competitiveness Study—Request for Proposals
The Wood Foundation and Gatsby Charitable Foundation have joined resources with the UK Department for International Development (DfID) in a coordinated effort to support transformation of the tea sector in Tanzania. Specifically, the Chai Project has the aspiration of doubling smallholder (SH) made tea production and increasing overall competitiveness of the sector.
At the recent Annual Tanzania Tea Industry Workshop, the Tea Association of Tanzania (TAT) recommended for an industry review of the Tea Sector, to understand the value proposition of Tanzanian tea, a competitiveness benchmarking with other countries, and the strategies and interventions required to turn the sector around, including key roles the Government of Tanzania must play in creating a supportive enabling environment.
Through evidence-based research, comparative analysis, and key informant interviews, the Chai Project will seek to raise awareness and provoke discussion through an informed debate that will ultimately lead to a collective industry response.
Objectives & Scope of Work
In support of this effort, the Chai Project is seeking proposals from interested and qualified parties to undertake a study that will research, analyse and document the following, among others:
- Tanzanian tea local and export market size, demand, growth and prices.
- Cost of production benchmarking against other tea-producing countries
- Diagnosis of key factors driving the current downward trend in Tanzania’s tea industry
- Strategies and evidence from other tea producing ‘compass’ countries in the region
- Outline/model a vision over the next 10-15 years for what might be achieved with increased investment and a supportive policy and regulatory environment
- The deadline for proposal submission is July 14th, 2017
- Interested parties should contact Halima Lima for a full copy of the solicitation: Halima.Lima@thewoodfoundation.org.uk
Established in 1933, the International Tea Committee (ITC) has been providing the tea industry with valuable statistical information for over 80 years.
The ITC is an unbiased, non profit making organisation, supported and recognised by many of the major tea producing and tea consuming nations as the official source for tea statistics.
Our aim is to continue to produce timely, accurate, impartial data and to remain the definitive source for all your statistical requirements.